A Department of Transportation (DOT) physical is a medical examination required of commercial drivers. A transportation DOT physical test is intended to ensure that those who drive commercial motor vehicles are physically, cognitively, and emotionally healthy. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires them for public safety.
Who Requires a DOT Physical?
A drivers health problems test is required if you:
• Drive a vehicle that can transport more than 15 people.
• Are compensated for driving a vehicle that can transport more than eight persons.
• Carry hazardous items in your vehicle that necessitates the use of a placard.
• Drive a vehicle with a gross combination weight rating, gross vehicle weight rating, or gross combination weight of more than 10,000 pounds on the highway.
What Does a transportation DOT physical test Look Like?
Your drivers’ health problems test will be performed by a healthcare physician who will ask you extensive questions about your medical history, including:
• If you’ve ever undergone surgery
• Any medications you are taking, including prescription and over-the-counter
• Any medical issues you’ve had
• If you use tobacco, alcohol, or illicit substances
• If you’ve ever failed a drug test, this is the place to be.
• If you’ve ever been addicted to an illegal substance,
• Any current symptoms you’re experiencing
You will get a hands-on physical, which will involve a check of your:
• Height \weight
• Vision and blood pressure
• Overall appearance
• The heart, lungs, and chest
• Throat and mouth
• The spine and the back
• Joints and extremities
• Your nervous system, which includes your reflexes
• Genital and urinary system examination, including hernia detection
• Gait, or walking style
• The circulatory system comprises your veins, arteries, and lymphatic system.
At Enthuse Health, we understand the importance of keeping our drivers healthy and safe. That’s why we prioritize providing DOT physicals so they can continue to do their job safely and effectively. Your transportation physical examination testing will be performed by our certified medical examiner, who ensures that a driver has no health problems that could potentially affect their job performance.
Our friendly staff is always available to answer any questions about the physical; rest assured that when you choose us for your DOT physical, you’ll be in good hands. Contact Enthuse Health today for more information on how Enthuse Health can help keep you and our roads safe!